July 15, 2007

Potpourri and Prayer Requests

It has been a while since I have sent out a note saying what is going on and how you can be praying for me... since the Asia's Hope team left, I have been doing odds and ends like meeting with Savorn at Asia's Hope Christian School, going over to the orphanages to spend time with the children, learning the Mavis Beacon typing program (in order to train a computer teacher at the school), taking sponsorship photos for two of the orphanages, teaching the College student Bible study (just finished a three night study on the beginning of the Gospel of John), helping Seda at her job (she works for an Australian ministry called Transform Cambodia), and various other things... Sometimes it seems like a lot, but it comes in fits and spurts...

You can be praying for my visa application that will go through in the next week or so to one of the government ministries. It will allow me to stay for at least 6 months, or one year. Savorn says that they have gotten a little more strict about who they hand out these visa to, so I would appreciate your prayers.

You can also continue to pray for wisdom for me as I keep my eyes open for what it is that God wants me to pursue here. There have been some things that have come across my path, but I am unsure what to do with them at this point. For the most part, I have just tried to put them on the sticky side of my brain, and keep my eyes open for where I might be used.

One area this year that has become a theme is a renewed look at poverty. The first summer that I was here, many aspects of poverty jumped into my line of sight because I had never seen this country. However, this summer, there have been three distinct experiences that have shown me that even though Cambodia is doing better in it's general appearance (more and better buildings being built, a flurry of small businesses), there is still A LOT of poverty. As Jesus said, "the poor will always be with you".

Please keep praying for my health. It is doing well, but there are little problems here and there. Pray for my safety as I consider buying a moto... driving in Phnom Penh is virtually indescribable unless you have been here... just say that there are some general rules, but that is about it... the rest is pretty much everyone for himself.

I am sorry if you have not been able to get my emails in the past... especially people at MCS, I do not know if you have gotten any of these emails due to the email system change, maybe some people in Mansfield can forward these to people once the addresses are straightened out...

Lastly, please pray for an Asia's Hope team that will be here at the end of July for about two weeks. I am going to be heading it up, but there are still a lot of details to be nailed down. It is not going to be anything out of the ordinary, but we want God to move all the time!

After the team leaves, I will begin to do some investigation of teaching positions... which everyone keeps telling me are available for native English speakers... I am praying that God will show me exactly where He wants me to be.

Thanks again for your prayers, and Preong Pro Tiempo (May God bless you), Graham

No comments: