July 03, 2007

Back in Phnom Penh

I got back to Phnom Penh last Wednesday and have been trying to get my life into some sort of order. The short term trip is great, but it sure is like being in a whirlwind (whatever that might be). There are so many things that pull your heart in numerous directions... children that you will not see in a while, things that you are thinking about from back home, friends that you are looking forward to seeing, foods that you want to taste again (and some that you don't)... nevertheless, it has been good to get back to Phnom Penh and start to think, pray and work through what it is that I will be doing over the next few months.

I have been able to go to a couple of Bible studies with the college students, and will begin doing some teaching this coming Friday. An opportunity for teaching English has already come up, but I think that I will wait a bit because of some possible Asia's Hope commitments. I am thinking that I will begin putting out C.V's (Asian name for resumes) in the beginning of August and see what happens. There is a potentially a group of Americans coming this month to Phnom Penh. If that happens, I will need to spend a hunk of time with them... teaching would throw a big wrench into that.

The college students and I went on a picnic/barbecue on Saturday. It was a nice time aside from the torrential rains that hit toward the end. I put some pictures on the blog (linked at the bottom of this email). I went and saw the children at the Phnom Penh orphanage last night, and we had a great time. There are usually a lot more people to keep 22 or so children busy, so it was quite a challenge having footballs, tennis balls and Frisbees being thrown at me from various directions, which I was supposed to catch and then toss off to someone else. I was glad when the time deteriorated down into putting stickers on my fingernails and having tickle sessions. I was again encouraged and amazed at how the children are being trained and taught. Narun and his wife Sophal have taught the children to be SO respectful of each other, someone reads a passage from the Bible before dinner and then this mite of a child got up and prayed a LONG time... great to see God's hand at work.

I got together yesterday with Savorn, who is the director of Asia's Hope in Cambodia. He is a great man and I am honored to know him. He is a few years older than me, but has seen so much more of life than I have. At an early age he was conscripted into the Vietnamese army to fight against the Khmer Rouge, he has been a pastor for years and is now doing great things for God in the ministry of Asia's Hope. He and I talked about numerous ways that we can work to improve the school. We are currently working on adjusting the schedule of the school so that more attention can be given to English and Computer teaching in the afternoons. He and I are going to be working together at the school, so it is encouraging to have a godly man that I respect to work with. We are looking for some people who might be willing to help out develop a computer lab for the school (10 computers). Computers (the whole shooting match) are $120. If you have any interest in helping out with that project, let me know!

There are a few other things going on, but I think I will cut this email short (?) for now... check out the pictures that I have put on the blog... I am sorry to all of you who have not gotten my previous emails. Let's just say that there have been both computer and email issues to deal with... I am trying my best to get it all taken care of...

Thanks for your prayers. May God bless you in all things.

No comments: