June 19, 2006

of anticipation, fears and losing your life

For the last 11 or so months, I have been thinking about something that will finally occur next Sunday morning. I am going back to Southeast Asia. Cambodia, in so many ways has won my heart, or at least the people have. I was thinking the other day about how nice the weather has been in Ohio. In Phnom Penh, it is 90-100 degrees everyday, and sometimes very, very humid. Why am I so interested in going back? Names. Sreynith, Seda, Pheakdey, Paul, Phillip, Amy, Sineth, Sarom, Kosal, Sophat, Sreyven, Asna, Narin, Borany, Leakhena... more. God has really blessed me with these people. My life is much richer, and I hope that their's is as well.

Have you ever looked forward to something so much that when it finally gets close to happening, you are a bit scared? That is definitely how I felt the other day. I suppose people who adopt children, or have children, or who get married, or even when people make a major purchase go through similar feelings. I know that God will see me through this, and I am ready to go. Packing is incidental. It will happen. Is my heart ready? Is my mind?

I can only answer that by the encouragement God has given me through the Scriptures lately. "He who saves his life will lose it. He who loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it." God has given me an opportunity to be His hands and feet and hugs and medical attention to those who are in greater need. He is giving me the opportunity to 'lose my life' so that I may find it in Him. Please pray for me as we go. May God bless you all. G

No comments: