June 29, 2008

I saw a dead man today

Sometimes, there are just no words. Cambodia's traffic is famous for unsafe practices, but when the worst things happen, it is a bit hard to put them into words... Sopheap and I were on moto (I was driving), and I looked to my right to see a man trapped under a moto, which was trapped under a van... blood was coming out of his eyes, and he was not moving... apparently the driver of the van wanted to go around a car in front of him, and hit the man... I really don't know all of the details... it was just so sad... I thought about it the rest of the way back to the Student Center... my thoughts ranged from "he wasn't wearing a helmet", to "what will his family do?", to "is he with the Lord, or...", to the inevitable, "that could have been me"... it was obvious that the accident had happened only moments before we got there because the people in the van were just getting out and quickly removing all of their possessions... there is a real feeling of powerlessness when something like that happens in Cambodia... not only is a life ended, but a family may no longer have any way of sustaining themselves, and there is no way to call the police... they may not come anyway... wheh... okay, so we all know again that life is tough...

No comments: