June 29, 2008

2 books

It has been a while since I put any book postings on my blog... actually it has been a while since I have had time to finish a book! But, nonetheless, here are two books that I have gotten cover to cover on...

I Married You by Walter Trobisch... actually this is kind of an older book by the standard of books about marriage (1971), but it was a fairly easy read. It takes place in Africa where the author biographically tells about a series of messages he will be giving on marriage to the Christian residents of an unknown country. The narrative approach made reading the book a bit easier because there are side roads that are taken in the book where he interacts with several different couples struggling with what it means to be married. The theology is pretty solid throughout, but sometimes I found the mental pictures that he used to make certain points were a little baffling.

Sad Cypress by Agatha Christie was my most recent Christie read... even though I knew the story and the final outcome, I still enjoyed reading the story and following Hercule Poirot through his psychological deductions about why Elinor Carlisle may have killed Mary Gerrard, or why she may not have... the murder presumably is carried out by using some poisoned fish paste on a sandwich... but three people ate the sandwiches, and it would be virtually impossible to know how Elinor could guarantee that Mary would eat the poisoned sandwich... Agatha Christie is a genius...

No comments: