November 09, 2007

News and Views and Life, November 2007

November... it really doesn't seem possible that tomorrow I will have been here for 5 months. There have been some really good times and some really rough ones, but in the end, I keep coming back to the fact that as I pray about it, I still feel that God has me where He wants me right now. That is definitely a comfort.

When I first started here this past June, life was necessarily focused around the Asia's Hope trips and serving in the best way that I could there... since then life has been more focused on learning and teaching... learning the Khmer language and teaching the English one...

While teaching has not been very difficult in itself (learning a new curriculum, running a classroom), the schedule has been a little inconvenient at times. No big deal, but my classes stretch over parts of the morning, afternoon and evening... sometimes it has been hard to get needed things done in the "free" times... this current term will be over at the end of this month/beginning of next month (depending on the class)... so I am going to try to get a schedule for the next term that is a little more conducive to getting things done in the evening with the orphans or the college students...

I have continued to study Khmer, and I am indeed getting better at it... I even almost got into an argument with a moto driver in Khmer... almost... anyway, I thank you for your prayers with this as well... sometimes when I pray about what God wants to use me for in Cambodia, one of the things that keeps coming to my mind, is "stick with the language"... don't give up, even when it becomes difficult... I have been spending most of my time learning phonetic conversation, but I am considering beginning to learn the alphabet and some basic spelling soon...

I have been walking through the book of John with the college students, and we are in chapter 4 right now... I know that sometimes they do not grasp every part of it, but I know that it is good to expose them (and myself) to a section by section study of this book.

For those of you who have been praying for my recovery from the moto accident, my arm is doing much better. It has not been easy for the last (almost) 6 weeks... the sling, the wrist (I think that I have some ligament damage in my wrist that will take longer to heal), and the arm itself have all had difficult times... I can not straighten the arm out yet, but it is definitely getting better each week. I will probably be back on moto full time next week... one of the students has been VERY helpful in driving me around to my classes when he is available. This has saved me some money, which I am very grateful for. You can pray for Cambodians as well in this regard... in the last nine months, +/- 1000 Cambodians have died on moto, and +/- 4000 have been in the hospital... that does not even include people like me who just gimp around for a month and half...


I hope that you will also check out my blog... I have put a LOT of pictures on there in the last few weeks... the web address is at the bottom of my email...

I think that is about it for now... thank your for your continued encouragement and prayers... I always enjoy hearing from people... have a great week and may God bless you in every way... Graham

No comments: