August 02, 2007

Miles Davis

I just finished reading Miles Davis:The Definitive Biography by Ian Carr. It was a 600-700 page biography of one of the greatest musical and cultural figures in American music in the 20th century. I am a recent 'convert' to the music of Miles Davis. I first really got interested in his music about 1 1/2 to 2 years ago when I watched the PBS JAZZ series by Ken Burns. Even though he was at many times a very disturbing and even mean man, I felt drawn to the brooding, contemplative, tension filled, even disturbing aspects of his music. He was always one to push the limits of music, and one musician was quoted as saying that other musicians always waited for Miles to come out with a new record so that they would know what to do next... it was a great biography... well documented, well written and easy to read. I did make a considerable difference that I knew a lot of the music that was being talked about, but I learned a lot in the process. If you want to start listening to some good stuff, check out the albums Kind of Blue, Sketches of Spain, or Milestones. There are hundreds of albums, but that is a good place to start... also check out the new link that I put on the sidebar for www.milesdavis.com... great stuff...

No comments: