August 17, 2007

Is it the middle of August already?

It seems amazing that I have already been here for over two months... next week will be two and half months, and I am still loving being in Cambodia.

Since the teams from the States have gone back, I have had a few different things to keep me busy...

I had to go to Vietnam for a day to renew my visa. I am not 100% confident that it was done correctly, but my visa says that I can stay for another 3 months if I desire. I am not sure what happens at the end of that time, but, that is in the Lord's hands. Vietnam was a lot like a combination of Thailand and Cambodia. Many of the modern amenities of Thailand, and many of the familiarities of Cambodia (motos, trash collectors, street shops)...

I also took a brief trip up to Battambang to see the children at the orphanage there. It is amazing what two months of nice clothes, good food, regular care, and meaningful love can do for children. When we got to Cambodia in June, these children had just moved into the home and were visibly insecure and uncomfortable with their new living situation. Now we are seeing the fruit of Christian love and care that has already transformed these children into joyful, playful and (sometimes) downright bubbly kids... great to see how the love of Christ through people like Seng You (Battambang orphan's home director) and his wife and their staff have truly transformed the children... on another note, it is so good to see their happiness, because I got to do a little bit of work on the stories of these children lately, and many have experienced horrible things in less than ten years of life. Some of their parents died of HIV, malaria, and even in one case, suicide. Life has really stabilized for them now, and God is at work.

Something that I am excited about will start next week. I will go to Khmer language school! I can not believe that I am going back to school, but on the other hand, this is something that I want to do! I have learned a lot more of the Khmer language this year, but it is like catching raindrops sometimes... so this will be a formal one-on-one situation where I can get some good direction.

I had mentioned that Samaritan's Purse had a job opening that I was really interested in. I was disappointed to find out that the position had already been filled. That just means that God has something else in mind... His mind always provides what is best, so I am looking forward to what that may be. Keep me in your prayers though...

I will sign off for now, but thank you for your prayers, emails and encouragement... it has been a great ride so far, and I am looking forward to more... check out the blog for some cool pictures of flowers here in Cambodia and Thailand!

May God bless you in every way. Graham

No comments: