June 17, 2007

Birthdays, Cake and Water Parks

Our new guest house is not as close to a reliable internet store, so I have not been able to write as regularly as I have, but since I got a chance today, I will send out a few thoughts...

Other things that are going on... three hours in water park with about 40+ orphans... most of which had never gone swimming, much less conceived of such a place... it went quickly, and I even wore sunscreen... there is a certain joy in children when they just get to play in water and have fun that can not be equaled by too many things... it cost $3 per person... and on an average policeman's salary of $30 per month, this is like going to Disney World... a nearly once in a lifetime experience...

Most of the children have no real clue what their actual birth date is. Many of them guess, or were never told, so for a little MORE excitement, we have had birthday parties at four different orphanages for all of the children, no matter when their birthday is. Complete with cake, balloons and streamers... now if you thought that children could get wound up with a water park, you should see the joy and fun that comes when the word 'cake' is mentioned.

Some of the children had never even had a piece of cake before. Not that this is a main goal of the summer, but the look on a child's face when they eat cake (and either rarely have had it, or have never had it)... it is a pretty fun sight to see. I am sure that you can all imagine.

Today we attended a church that has been started by our friend Narin. He has asked me to help them with their music a bit. But today, I just was able to share a testimony at both services about some things that God has been teaching me through the Scriptures. The summary version is that God is there, He hears us and He is willing to take our fears.

Tomorrow (Monday) I will be resuming my avocation as school photographer in order to get sponsorship photos for all of the children.

More to come! Thank you for your prayers!
Graham

No comments: