July 29, 2008

Taking your life in your hands

I have been driving a moto in Cambodia for almost a year now, and that is enough time to see and understand some of the 'rules of the road' here... and unfortunately, there are not many... and the ones that do exist are not obeyed very much...

I can only think of 3 speed limit signs that I have seen in a city of 2 million people, and they are never obeyed... most people probably do not even know what they are. So last night, I am driving my moto, and I have Seda, her nephew Ro, and her niece Chanthou on my bike (I am getting better at driving with multiple passengers), and out of nowhere come two motorbikes that were racing at at least 60 miles an hour (you have to understand that most traffic goes around 20-30 mph)... they were so close to hitting us dead on... If I had been driving just a little faster we would have had a colossal crash, and I would not be writing this post right now... yikes... the yahoo's just kept on flying through town... I don't know how they can do it without being killed... the reality is that many do fine, but many others do get hurt seriously by this kind of driving...

Anyway, all four of us, held our breath, I hit the brakes, and they sped (flew?) by... it is one of those incidents, where if you really thought about what happened at that moment, you would fall off the bike by yourself...

No comments: