January 22, 2008

What a birthday...

Well, thank you to all of you for sending me birthday greetings... I will give you the highlights (or the lowlights as in this case)... a few days ago I started getting pain on my front left side... at first I thought that I just needed to eat some more raisins and drink some Mylanta, but after that didn't work, and the pain was getting worse, I called Dr. John in the States and he told me to visit our friend Dr. Modich... Modich did a variety of tests, only to say that 'well, it could be diverticulitis'.... huh?... whatever... all I knew was that I was in a lot of pain... he wanted to put me in the hospital, but we were able to work around that... the next thing I know he is sending his nurse, Socheat, to the house with me to hook me up to IV's with antibiotics and normal IV solution... about 15 hours later, they unhooked me (I could not eat anything) and then they took me to a clinic for a abdominal CT scan... so, $250 later, they can not tell what the problem is, the CT scan is 'normal', and I was still in some discomfort... today (Tuesday) I am doing better but still uncomfortable... I took two days off from teaching, and will be back tomorrow...

The highlight of the day was Seda walking into the living room where I was connected to the IV's with a birthday cake that had a forest fire on it, singing happy birthday... she was also wearing a new dress that I had gotten for her, which did not hurt either...

Anyway, things seem to be returning to normal... I am still uncomfortable, but it is not the sharp pain that I had before... time to eat more vegetables and drink more water...

Thanks for your prayers.... G

4 comments:

John McCollum said...

Oy. I'm sorry, man. I'll be praying for a quick recovery.

Thank God for improved medical care in Cambodia. A CT scan would have been unthinkable a few years ago.

Please take care of yourself.

Also, thanks again for posting such great pictures of the orphan homes and the kids. Very cool.

Mind if I steal some of the images for the website?

Nate said...

My sister went through a similar "inexplicable" problem while she was in Japan. I'm sure it's really frustrating.

I liked the picture of Seda wearing an Indians t-shirt.

Hope you feel better soon!

-Nate

Unknown said...

Happy belated Birthday, G-money! Sounds like the cake and the company were awesome! I'll be praying for the pain, too. peace and late.

Greg said...

I feel bad that I missed your birthday! Happy Birfday! I guess I was too busy complaining about my life...

That pain sounds pretty intense. Yeah, at least you had that forest fire to take your mind off of it for at least a bit...