August 22, 2006

Grisham's First Novel

Well, I finally read a John Grisham novel. I have avoided reading his stuff for a couple of reasons... first, he seemed like the flavor of the month for a while, and I hate bandwagons... second, I really got into Michael Connelly and his fabulous character Harry Bosch, so I was committed to that... but then I finished all of the Connelly novels... Grisham has proven that he can keep up his popularity over a long stretch, so I decided that I could try one out... I don't like bandwagons, but I am intrigued by cultural phenomena... so I read his first book, A Time To Kill... instantly I realized that I had listened to it on audio book, but kept reading, and I liked his style. There were some things in the storyline that were downright disturbing, but that is not a first. One of the most interesting aspects of his writing that adds to the 'down home' feeling of the south in this particular novel was the "homey" conversations on the porches and balconies and diners of this sleepy southern town... it was a good read if you can get past some of the more violent/tragic parts of the story.

No comments: