August 13, 2006

First They Killed My Father

If you have any interest in knowing more about what has affected the Cambodian culture more than any other event, you must read the book, First They Killed My Father. I have read several books on the Cambodian genocide under Pol Pot that took place in the mid to late 1970's, but this one provides first hand experience as I have not read before. It is not a long book, and the reading is very easy to understand... I would say it is must reading for anyone who wants to do ministry in Cambodia, or just visit.

1 comment:

John McCollum said...

Yeah, that book about slew me.

I finished it ON THE PLANE on my first trip to Cambodia. Not a great idea. I was literally blubbering. People around me must have thought I was a complete idiot.

The movie The Killing Fields had a slightly different effect. Halfway through my first viewing of it, I ripped the DVD out of the player and threw it across the room. If war and genocide don't make you mad, you're not paying attention.