July 05, 2006

Two unrelated (yet related) thoughts...

"And perseverance produces character, and character, hope."

I am not sure that I have ever understood that verse clearly. But today, I felt like I was able to see a little more deeply into than I have before. The "perseverance produces character" part was fairly easier to comprehend... we are trained by our difficulties to continue to trust, continue to walk with the Lord even when it is not pleasant. Perseverance only deals with walking through hard times... I have never had to persevere through something that I enjoyed. But the second half of the verse is what has always baffled me. Character produces hope. I have never been able to understand what that meant... but I think that I am beginning to see. You can only see the hope in life when you have a character that is willing to look into the face of difficulty and say... "Yes, the Lord is still in control of my life." "I have not been abandoned, and I will be cared for." That is the only way that hope can flourish, when you have the character that has grown from persevering through difficulties (great or small).

----------------------------

Today we wrapped up ministry in Cambodia. It is always tough to leave, but since I am coming back next week, it is a little bit easier to stomach. I would not be ready to leave my college friends, the children at the orphanages or the country just yet. It is a real blessing that I can be here. This week has been so neat, as we have opened up the new orphanage in Phnom Penh. It is doubly exciting because for years we have wanted our orphans to attend a Christian School. This new orphanage is close enough to the school that we can easily transport them back and forth. Today we did a special presentation at New Life Christian School of money that the students of Mansfield Christian School raised this past year. Even though it was only about $1000, that money will help the orphans to get started at the school. We want to use this money to get enough uniforms for them, to buy some new desks for the new children, to give the teachers a small bonus this month, as well as purchasing snacks/refreshments for the children when they are on their break during school. There will be a little left over for the principal of the school to do some things that she sees as immediate needs.

Thank you again for your prayers and gifts towards the ministry of Asia's Hope. We are leaving for Thailand in the morning (your Wednesday night)... it will be a new experience for me, so we will see what God has planned for us. May God bless you all. Graham

1 comment:

John McCollum said...

Good stuff. Thanks for serving the kids. Congrats on MCS for getting involved like this. I know the students, faculty and staff at BOTH schools will be really blessed by their contributions.