July 09, 2006

Tutu, we're not in Kampuchea anymore

I have to rewrite this post, because the computer just deleted it, and it was fairly lenghty... not sure if I'll remember it all, but I'll do my best...

We got to Thailand last Thursday and it has been a completely un-Cambdodia-like experience. Thailand is so much differerent. It is more modern in a variety of ways... It is hard to say, but it may be everything that Cambodia could have been if not for the 1970's... on my way here I was not sure how to feel about it. I have gotten to know and love Cambodia, and I didn't want to screw up a new language, feel like a fifth wheel, not know where I was, etc...

That changed fairly soon into our arrival. Tutu Bee is the ministry co-ordinator for Asia's Hope in Chiang Mai. She has to be one of the most humble, caring people I have ever met. It has been a real pleasure to meet her and her family. The children like wise have been a real blessing. When we first got to the orphanage I thought that I was going to spend the week as a human jungle gym... which I did not volunteer for.

After some time though, I was able to find my niche with the quieter kids... looking at pictures on my camera, having others on my lap, giving out numerous hugs... I also got to serve my first stint as "school photographer" as I took pictures of all the children for their Canadian sponsors. Each of the kids got a Starburst and the girls also got a hairtie (thanks mom).

Yesterday we took the children to the the Chaing Mai zoo. It was easily one of our hottest days here, but the children really enjoyed it. I don't think that most of them had ever even conceived that such a place existed. I spent most of the time with a beautiful little girl named Naramon (Nar-a-mooen). Today when we came over, she was really excited to see me (which is always gratifying).

Today was the first official church service at the orphanage. It is virtually impossible to get 70 kids up and ready for an extended car ride to church, so they are having it at the orphanage. It was really a blessing. Monday the team leaves for Bangkok and then home. Dave, Kim and I leave here Tuesday for Bangkok and then back to Phnom Penh. Thank you for your prayers and thoughts... may God bless you. Graham

No comments: