May 23, 2006

2 More Books

Okay, so I have been a little slow on the postings lately... things are hectic at school... but the evenings still provide some time to read... here are the two latest completions...

The Best American Mystery Stories 2003 is a book that I sought out only because the editor of the collection was Michael Connelly. However, I will tell you that even though many of the stories were violently or sexually brutal, I came away amazed at how well these stories were written. I am not a writer, but these people had an amazing ability to conceive of a plot, introduce characters, develop those characters and wrap up the story with a satisfying conclusion with relative ease. I was impressed. The best story, in my opinion, was called After You're Gone.

A Treatise Concerning Religious Affections by Jonathan Edwards is truly one of the most significant books that I have ever read. Edwards knowledge of the Scriptures is second to none, and his ability to apply it to the heart and mind of Christian people is amazing. I found that I was underlining huge sections on almost every page. I could not move quickly through this book, and found myself mentally (if not even physically saying), "Yes, I agree, it could not have been said better!"... tremendous theological insights into the human condition and how it relates to our relationship with Jesus, the Holy Spirit and God the Father. Excellent.

No comments: