October 31, 2007

Take Five

One of the classic jazz tunes of all time is "Take Five" by the Dave Brubeck Quartet (Dave Brubeck - piano, Paul Desmond - alto sax, Eugene Wright - bass, Joe Morello - drums). The song was actually written for two reasons... first, Paul Desmond had been experimenting with rhythms in 5/4, and second, the group needed a song that would give the drummer, Joe Morello something more interesting to play (aside from just keeping time), but then it turned into a mega-hit. The song was actually written by the alto saxophonist Paul Desmond. One of the first things that drew me to this group's music was Desmond's sweet sax sound... here, in a performance in Germany, 1966, he adds in a few almost Arabian sounding scales for his own personal interest.. for those who didn't know, I actually met Dave Brubeck almost two years ago at a music convention... I told him then, and I would tell him now, that he truly 'opened the doors of jazz music to me'... I hope that you enjoy it...

No comments: