September 06, 2007

PPP

Hello again... here is a bit of PPP (Phnom Penh Potpourri) for you...

I started my lessons in the Khmer language almost three weeks ago. It has been really good, but not easy. The class is just me and my teacher, Nara. He has done this for a number of years, so he knows what he is doing, but there are A LOT of sounds that are foreign to my ear and my ability to pronounce. I have learned a lot in a short period of time, and I am glad that I made this step. I do think that years of listening to students perform on musical instruments has been a help in me discerning how to say things correctly. Please pray for me that this feeble brain of mine will be able to remember all that I am learning...

On the employment front, I thank God for His provision because I was hired by Pannasastra University to teach English. I will be teaching three hours each day (two classes), 6 days a week for their term that begins September 11. It was a whirlwind experience... the previous day Narin and I had dropped my resume off at 4 different schools, including Pannasastra... they told me that I could come in for an interview the next day. The interview was very positive, and voila! I am now an English teacher... the dean of the university interviewed me, and I was impressed with his English and his general demeanor. Even though I do not have English teaching experience, he was impressed by twelve years of teaching experience and my experiences in Cambodia. Pannasastra is the largest English school in Phnom Penh, and I am praying that it will be a positive experience. It sounds like if it goes well, I could step up to 6 hours per day (five days a week), but that would not be until November.

In Cambodia, elementary and high school's officially begin their year in October... nonetheless, many (if not most) schools are in session nearly all year long. Occasionally there are a few days (or at the most a week) off. As the new year gets closer, we will be starting a new computer class for the children at Asia's Hope Christian School. It will be basic typing and basic computer skills, but it will also help to reinforce reading and writing the English alphabet. It was a lot of fun going out and buying the machines, assembling them and seeing the kids excitement... I wanted to give a special thanks to the three people who helped to donate money to make the computers available to the students. There are pictures of the new computers on my blog (web address at the bottom). It is a blessing that we already have those things in place so that when the new year begins we can give the students a better education.

Thank you for those of you who prayed for a laptop for Savorn (Asia's Hope National Director in Cambodia). The email went out, and it was mentioned in a Sunday School class, and the class voted to send him money for a computer. We thank God for His provision. It will be well used.

Another blessing for the school this year is the fact that we have just gotten all of our orphans from the Phnom Penh area to attend the school (all of the students grade 6 and under). It is a blessing to have more of the children exposed to the truth of Jesus Christ integrated into their education. This was the key reason that I stayed at Mansfield Christian School for 12 years. AH Christian School seems to have more students than ever right now, and we are grateful to God for His blessings.

Saturday will be the big day for buying a moto... I've been practicing driving Seda's moto around town, but it is not always available... I am really tired of paying moto drivers every time I need to go somewhere, so it is nice to know that investment is in the pipeline.

On a completely different note... As September has been ushered in here in Cambodia, I have thought many times about the life that was...namely my teaching job at Mansfield Christian School. I was so blessed to have supportive friendships, students and families there. 12 years of service to the Lord there has shaped me so much as a person and as a follower of Christ. Frankly, I would not even be in Cambodia right now if it was not for Mansfield Christian. God has used them mightily in the lives of students and families (not to mention the teachers) for over 40 years. I am glad that I can add my name to the list of people who has been blessed by God because of my affiliation with them... I pray that God will bless you all with a tremendous school year that is overflowing with the leadership and power of His Spirit.

Have a great week, and thank you again for your prayers and support.

By His Power and Grace,
Graham

No comments: