January 09, 2006

Books I have read lately...

The Pol Pot Regime by Ben Kiernan is a very in depth book, but it goes so in depth that it almost feels as if you lose perspective on the tragedy of what happened. It reads like someone's Master's thesis for most of the book, which for me made it laborious.

Lost Light by Michael Connelly is another chapter in the on going story of Connelly's most developed character, Harry Bosch. Connelly is a good writer (I have read almost all of his books), but sometimes I feel like he tries to draw in too many elements. I have to admit that I was taken a little off guard by the fact that this book is the first of the Harry Bosch books that is written in first person. All of the preceding novels have been in third person, and that was part of what endeared me to Harry Bosch. It was another good 'case' for Harry, even though this is the first book where he is not a detective for the Los Angeles police department.

The A.B.C. Murders by Agatha Christie is another book in the fantastic series of books featuring Hercules Poirot. Being a huge Poirot (and David Suchet) fan, this story goes wrong at no point. When I first started reading Christie novels, I was often disappointed that so much of the novel was revealed at the end and that there was no real opportunity to 'figure it out'. However, the more I am acquainted with her writing, the more I see the genius in her ability to weave all of the characters and information together without the extraneous details that would give too much away.

Buckeye Glory Days by Eric Kaelin after the Bucks great win over Notre Dame a week ago, I could not leave this one off. This book highlights the 25 greatest football victories by Ohio State. I was given this book a few years ago and just got around to reading it. It also comes with a CD of short radio calls of highlights from the game. Of course, the No.1 game was the 2003 Natioanl Championship game against Miami.

More to come...

No comments: